Wednesday 31 December 2014

Start 2015 New Year with a new perspective on loss and grief




Happy New Year!

Questions are the key to discovery and a new perspective.

If you have suffered from a deep loss in the recent years, I want you to embrace the New Year with a fullness of heart and mind.

Allow your year ahead to be fulfilling and inspired and appreciate what you are learning about grief and how the loss of your loved one is giving you a new perspective on life.

It is too easy to fall into the ‘If only…..” “If only they were here, then everything would be fine…”

Thinking in this way is a natural process. It can be unhelpful though because our loved ones are not here, your life is in the here and now, not in what could have been or should have been.

Thinking about what you could have had, should have had is only destroying your presence here on Earth. Precisely an activity that your loved one would not be best pleased about!

Life is full of ups and downs and that is the normal pattern, however when we grieve we remain stuck in a ‘down’, we don’t allow ourselves any joy.

Trust me at first it may seem easier to bury the grief and remain in the ‘down’, but grief wants to release itself like a river flowing , the more we try to stop it , it will build up its banks and finally burst through to the natural flow it needs to go.

It is much easier to let the flow continue and not put up any barriers. The only person you kid yourself is YOU!

Let this New Year bring change for the better. A new you! An opportunity to appreciate the one you lost with a new perspective? Begin by asking new questions of yourself and dig deeper into the grief territory.

Ask yourself whether there might possibly be some drawbacks to your loved one still living?

Ouch…I know this is hard to take on board and the degree to which it hurts is the degree to which your perspective can change for the better and for your health.

Ask yourself whether some good things have happened since the loss ?

 For example you may have more social interactions and friendships happening. You have changed your normal patterns of behaviour and new interests are coming into your life. Maybe people who were previously distant are spending more time with you. Try and focus on the reality of what new things have come into your life.

Ask yourself what are the benefits of the new things appearing ?

Nothing is ever missing and as one energy form releases into the universe another will take its place and maintain the equilibrium of life and balance.

As I move into the New Year I reflect on what I have ‘lost’ by moving country and I can see that for things I miss, there are now new things that I love and appreciate. For some of those things they are quite similar yet different. For whatever grief I have or had I can see the new form and I know that even when I may feel ‘down’ like something is missing. I only need time to reflect and ponder on where the new form is. Sure enough it can be found.

I wrote the book ‘Breaking Through Loss’ to help people who are struggling with loss and grief. My way of passing on some of the lesson I learnt and where to go to seek help. The book is available from Amazon at


 Let 2015 be your year for change!

Wishing you love and wisdom and keep asking yourself quality questions

Lynn
#Loss #Grief #NewYear #Questions


No comments:

Post a Comment